Monday, August 8, 2011

Buggies & Clotheslines

Ok.  Totally weird focus of mine the past few weeks.  Amish. 

It's not like I've never heard of or seen Amish before.  We have several who are clients at the clinic and I grew up just miles away from several Amish farms.  In fact, I've even been to an Amish farm with my dad as a kid in the vet truck.  I remember all the children hiding around barn corners starring at me in curiousity as I followed my dad around.

My recent drives through Indiana to and from Ohio have involved lots of entertainment mostly involving Amish.  First, I realized that Amish only live in white colored houses.  Dad confirmed this via text message by saying they don't wish to draw attention to themselves.  I guess the horse drawn buggies and hundreds of clotheslines don't call any attention!  One of the many idiosyncrasies in life.

On my bi-weekly drives, I look forward to counting how many Amish buggies I will pass on US-27.   Tonight, I lost track at 8 buggies!  It seems like they were all out and about tonight going to and from town.  Buggies full of families.  I think the reason this fascinates me so, is because I'm so used to the Amish around my hometown just hitching a ride in a vehicle or hiring a driver.  No sense bothering with the horse and buggy!  Different story in Indiana.

Just a reminder that life is all about the simple things.  But, I sure am thankful for my old Chrysler and my dryer.

No comments: