Sunday, December 4, 2011

Go Green

I am a Spartan through and through.  Born with green blood.  Mom and Dad are MSU grads, Jake and I are MSU grads... AND we each met our spouses at MSU who are MSU grads!

So, to say that I cheer for Spartan sports is a given.  Especially Spartan football.  My extra soft spot for Spartan football came from #2 Herb Haygood. 

In the fall of 1998, we met through a mutual friend, Kristi Tone.  I had no interest in seeking out a boyfriend and I made that very clear (right, Herb?! ha, ha).  I had just lost my Bumpa, was struggling with my first semester of college courses and was just focused on making the most of my college experience.  The first night Herb and I met, I joined Kristi and some other girls over at Herb & Nick Myer's apartment in University Village (which no longer exists!) to watch a movie.  Herb came out of his room in nothing but shorts.  I thought to myself, what is he thinking - everyone else is wearing jeans and sweaters!  He proceeded to introduce himself, asked me to rub his ankle and asked me if I was a cheerleader!  The answers were, NO and definitely NO.  I had never met someone like Herb, he was quiet yet bold.  We began a friendship.  He called my dorm ALL the time and we talked about everything.  His persistence was attractive.  I finally gave in and we began dating.  I figured if he worked that hard "to get me", he would work that hard to keep me! 

With that, I found myself attending every home football game and driving to many away games. The games I could not attend, rest assured I was in front of the TV and taping the games on VHS! To see Herb on that field and knowing the love and joy he had during those moments, well that was something I refused to miss.  Herb worked very hard to get to that point.  Traveled thousands of miles from Sarasota, FL to attend MSU, away from all of his family, battled knee injuries, endured winters for the first time, and became a first generation college student.  I am so proud of the Spartan legacy he left - "the Duece is loose!", All American Kick Returner and stand-out receiver!

Here's little bit of his Google footprint!
http://www.msuspartans.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/haygood_herb00.html
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPwi0OLFOMk
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/nfl/2002draft/wrs/herbhaygood.htm
http://broncosstats.tripod.com/draft_picks/Haygood.htm
http://www.heraldtribune.com/article/20070722/NEWS/707220557

To this day, we still cheer just as hard for the Spartans.  But now, instead of suiting up, Herb's right by my side.  So.....when MSU made it to the FIRST EVER Big 10 championship game this year, we were for sure watching!  What made this night even more AWESOME, was that we were invited by Coach Treadwell and Lola to cheer on the Spartans from their home in Oxford.  See, Coach Treadwell was one of Herb's position coaches at MSU and now he is the Head Coach at Miami University.  Coach Treadwell brought Herb down to Miami as an Offensive Intern and it has been so neat for Herb to work along side one of his mentors.  I had a couple pinch me moments, when I realized that just last year Coach Tread was the OC at MSU and now we are in his living room watching the Spartans!  Coach Tread and Lola are really great people whom we admire and we had a great time cheering for MSU vs. Wisconsin in an amazing, yet heartbreaking game.

The Spartans fell 42-39 that night to the Wisconsin Badgers, who lost 37-31 to MSU earlier in the season.  Michigan State won the Legends Division title in the Big 10.  Herb and I, among many other Spartans will always remember the first ever Big 10 Championship Game!  AND, we are as proud as ever to be Spartans.

Go Green!
(oh, and check out our new living room art...)

No comments: