Monday, January 30, 2012

O-Hi-O Observations

I should clarify that my observations are mostly southwestern Ohio as we live less than 1 hour away from the Kentucky border.

  • Ohio is much hillier than I ever imagined.  In the Cincinnati area everything is named "Mount" something, Mt. Lookout, Mt. Adams, etc.

  • Ohio LOVES their chili.  I don't think we have ever seen so many fast food chains that specialize in chili - Skyline Chili, Gold Star Chili and even Wendy's advertises 1 pound of chili!  Even though I love chili, I have not partaken in any fast food chili and according to Herb I'm not missing out.  He recently went to Skyline Chili with the guys for lunch and he ordered their specialty.  Specialty is spaghetti noodles, topped with chili and mounds of shredded cheese.  Herb said "you couldn't pay me to eat that again!"

  • Many people have southern accents.  YES - in Ohio.  You know if Ohioans are southern or northern as soon as they open their mouth!
  • Drive thru party stores.  Wierd.  Oxford has 2 of them, one is called the Red Ox.
  • You can't order unsweetened tea - it's all sweet.  YES - like in the south.
  • People in Ohio think Michigan is like Alaska or Antartica.  They think it is sooooo cold and snowy all the time.  NOT.  It's only like 10 degrees cooler in MI and hello we share a border!
  • The grass is still somewhat green unlike the brown brown grass in MI right now.
  • Oh, and I may have referenced this before, but you can't buy liquor at the grocery store.
  • You mention Miami and they don't think of Florida.
  • "Toward the lake" means north and "toward the river" means south.
  • I actually spotted a MSU Spartan shirt at Meijer's next to OSU Buckeye gear - that's how much they hate U of M!  All in the name of football.

No comments: