The HR mumbo jumbo and personnel conflicts have been overwhelming at work lately. I am always looking for new and exciting ways to educate and motivate our staff at monthly team meetings - and this week I thought I found the perfect idea to spice things up. A fun trivia game + teams = prizes. Who doesn't like a little friendly competition and some prizes? Well apparently, some don't and decide to carry poor attitudes - making it nearly impossible to inspire. All I can say is, urghhhhh. I will try, try again.
After the work week, I was so glad to get to Oxford. Thursday night we went out to Sushi Nora with two other football couples. Between the wine, sake, sushi, great company and conversation it was the perfect date night. I found a 2nd favorite roll - Sunday Morning, yummy! We topped the date off with a late night movie at the Princess Theatre to see Money Ball.
Saturday was a cool, crisp fall day. The perfect weather for some football. It was our 2nd home game and excitement was in the air with one of the oldest rivalries in college football Miami vs. Cincinnati. The first half was defense vs. defense, with a score of 0-6. Then the turning point of the game came at the beginning of the second half, Miami caught a touchdown and it was called back due to pass interference on our offense. Well, let's just say it all went downhill from there. It's hard to describe the emotions of starting the season 0-4. Especially as a coach's wife. I know first hand all of the hours, dedication and sacrifices that the coaches and players make to build a football program.
Despite the loss, the coaches still have to rally the players and focus on the future. This weekend, Miami had 2 recruits from South Carolina in for the weekend. The coaches take turns getting to know the recruits and their families. Part of that is taking them out to dinner after home games.
Herb and I were invited to go with Coach Willis and his wife Sara to Paseano's Italian Restaurant. It was truly a wonderful experience. One of the recruits, who happens to be a wide receiver has had a difficult upbringing very parallel to Herb's. He will also be a first generation college student. It was neat to watch Herb relate to and motivate the recruit. This recruit chose to bring his pastor with him instead of a parental figure. Their relationship is clearly the work of God and truly inspiring. If you have ever seen the movie "Blindside", this was witnessing first hand the selflessness, love, and mentorship that some people so courageously give. A true example that with faith and hope in Him, bad situations can be turned around for good.
So no matter the stresses of work or the record of the season thus far, God will strengthen and encourage us to keep on keeping on in rough times. It's easy to quit, it takes faith to go through.
Let's go RedHawks - beat Army!
No comments:
Post a Comment