Friday, April 8, 2011

Who labels a rock?

It's days like this that I really miss my Grammy & Bumpa.  Nonetheless, my heart is all smiles. Two small things happened today that made me feel I had 2 angels in the heavens watching over me.

Grammy & Bumpa were such an intregral part of my life and its hard to believe they have been away so long. The first 18 years of my life are filled with memories of...
  • summers in the pool
  • eating snacks out of old butter dishes
  • playing dress up with eye glasses
  • eating graham crackers & milk
  • traveling in the motor home
  • shopping & Olga's
  • taking drives with no destination
  • tracing out our trips with highlighter markers on state maps
  • roadside parks
  • shell seeking
  • lighthouse hunting
  • admiring the pretty crystal hanging from Grammy's rearview mirror
  • singing the worms crawl in the worms crawl out
  • cheerleaders at all of my sporting and schooling events
  • my grumpy old teddy bear of a Bumpa
  • the sweetest Grammy there ever would be
  • and the best pie in the WORLD.
This morning on a day I wasn't scheduled to work... I was working.  I answered the phone and it was an older gentleman that started the conversation like this:

Mr. Brown:  Yes good morning, I rescued a black cocker spaniel and I think she need's to see the doctor.
Me:  Ok sir, can I get your name and find a time that works in your schedule.
Mr. Brown:  Well, hold on now, before I give you my name and address I want to make sure this is the right place.  I used to own a drug store downtown, I was good friends with an eye doctor named Bob Britton.  He had a sweet daughter who worked for me. 
Me:  Yes, Judy Britton Weaver :)
Mr. Brown:  She married a man who is an animal doctor.  I want to make sure this is THE place and I want to see him!
Me:  It sure is, I'd be happy to schedule you an appointment with Dr. Weaver, can I get your pet's name.
Mr. Brown:  Well, let's see.... she's black....ummmm.....well let's call her Blackie.  Ya know she's a real sweetheart.

Had I not been working, had I not answered the phone, no one else at the clinic would have made the connection.  It's been too long for most to remember Dr. Britton.  I was meant to answer the phone.  It was my Bumpa hugging me from the heavens.

THEN, I got another hug!  After playing with Chloe at the park tonight and visiting with Jake, Steph and Charlie, I came back to sort through some things that had been piling up in my room.  I was dusting things on my dresser and noticed there was a pretty pink rock at the bottom of a ceramic vase.  I pulled the rock out and noticed there was a piece of tape on it.  I flipped it over and read this, "8-25-1992 Gram bought rose quartz at Iron Mountain Iron Mine for Emmy."  This was on one of our many trips.  My grammy labeled everything from jewelry to rocks!!!  Labeled with handwritten paper & tape.  Boy would she have LOVED a DYMO Label Maker. 


I loved finding this tonight - feeling connected in my heart to Bumpa and Grammy on this day.  Thank you Lord for these small blessings, especially when life has been so darn difficult lately.

No comments: